People ask me about getting started as writers all the time, especially about getting published. Truly, the most important advice I can give you is to just write. But beyond that, here are some great online resources and communities for writers:
- Litreactor: Litreactor is a terrific place for people who are looking for a writing community outside academia. Check it out.
- Writer Unboxed: A community founded by writers, editors, agents and publishers to support and celebrate the craft of writing.
- Jane Friedman: Jane Friedman is an outsanding resource for all things writing.
There are so many wonderful books out there about writing. These are some of my favorites:
- The Right to Write, Julia Cameron
- On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, Stephen King
- Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life, Anne Lamott
- Page by Page: Discover the Confidence and Passion You Need to Start Writing and Keep Writing No Matter What, Heather Sellers